Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Lobster dreams and blueberry reveries

It's cold out today - not quite the unbearable bitter cold that hurts your face and teeth, but cold enough to make the wait for the bus seem very, very long. I'm daydreaming about my summer vacation. I've rented a cottage in Maine with a group of friends. You can see it here, if you're curious.

The cottage is owned by an organic farm that sells goat milk, yogurt, cheese and maple syrup. I'm looking forward to sampling their wares and visting with the goats. Since booking this place, I've noticed that quite a few farms use rental cottages as an extra source of income. So, if you're planning a vacation this year, consider supporting a small farm.

And if you've never been to the Northern coast of Maine, I highly recommend it. If you drive past Acadia, the tourists disappear, leaving behind lobster boats, rocky shoreline, blueberry barrens, pine trees, a few artists, some organic farms, puffins, a surprisingly good fruit winery, and the freshest air you'll ever breathe. And did I mention the lobster? Because, my god, the lobster. And the scallops. And the crab. It's shellfish heaven. And in August the blueberries are ripe - the tiny, spicy, wild ones, not the flavorless, oversized supermarket ones.

Just six months....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, that cottage looks perfect. (BTW, your link has a little typo-the "http://" is doubled-in case anyone gets lost looking for it.)
Of course, it is a much longer drive from Pittsburgh..but I can think of some friends who might like this too.

Pyewacket said...

Thanks, Lindy - I've fixed it.