Wednesday, May 18, 2005

I can’t believe it’s a blog.

I’m not the first person you would expect to start blogging. For one thing, I generally shy away from public forums. My greatest fear in life is that I will accidentally witness a major news event and end up on television. But the internet is the public forum for introverts. No pictures! No identifying information! Blessed anonymity! And the chance to talk at length about things you find interesting long after you’ve bored your friends and significant other.

I find food interesting.

I especially find local food interesting. Food raised by people, not corporations. Fresh food. Food that was grown close to where it's being eaten; food that brings an eater a sense of place.

In my case, the place is Massachusetts.

Over the last few years, I’ve been trying to eat more seasonally and locally. I started with shopping at farmer’s markets, then joined a farm share program, then got together with friends to buy meat in bulk directly from the farmer. I know there are a lot of other people who are doing the same thing. So this is what this blog is going to be about: what’s fresh at the markets and farms in the Boston area and how to cook with this week’s bounty. I will also try to pass along any interesting information I can get from the farmers about the growing season, the varieties of vegetables they grow, and all that fun stuff.

This gives me an excuse to go to all the farmer’s markets I can and spend more than I can afford on stuff I don’t need. This is a good thing.

I’ll also write about the cow-buying adventure, about trying to find organic pastured chickens and pork to buy directly from the farmers, and about anything else that seems relevant. Probably some things that aren’t relevant at all, too, because as far as I can tell, irrelevance is some sort of blogging convention.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: