Sunday, December 10, 2006

Announcement

It's the holiday season, and I've noticed a distinct downturn in the number of postings on cooking blogs. This is not surprising: there are cookies and fruitcakes to bake, special candies and liqueurs to shop for. The food-obsessed are damned busy this time of year. And some of us are starting up websites.

I've not been posting a lot in the last month or two, because I've been involved in a project now ready for unveiling. It's a website called NewEnglandGrown, devoted to New England agriculture and food. Each month, we will be publishing new articles on some theme, some aspect of NE farming, as well as directories of resources related to that theme. We're hoping to build up a useful resource, as well as providing some interesting reading. We intend to focus on some of the less-explored aspects of the food/farm world, not just the apple orchards and the CSAs, but the farm summer camps and the llama breeders and the heirlooom seed growers and the farm inns and the people who sell Maine seaweed and the people who grow and dry herbal teas. We've also got an extensive events listing, because as far as I can tell, there's no one place to go to find information on all the maple festivals, open farm days, country fairs, cheesemaking workshops, and other great stuff going on.

Anyway, the first issue is up, and I would be thrilled if you took a look. Unfortunately, the first issue is a little light on writing - we're hoping to up both the quantity and the depth of the reading content next month. We spent a lot of time getting some of the resource material ready and didn't focus as heavily on the writing as I would like, but that will change. In the meantime, we've got a local food guide and a farmers' internet guide, directories of farm B&Bs, Christmas tree farms, and wineries, a holiday gift guide, some book recommendations, recipes, and the events listing, so there's plenty to check out.

If you have any recommendations about thing you think the site could use, do let me know. I'll read your messages between batches of sugar cookies and research on bison farms in New England for the January issue.

Thanks!

4 comments:

Sara Zoe Patterson said...

absolutely fabulous!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic, looks like you are following your passion. I've already linked to it.

One small suggestion, would be to have a way to email you (the editor) from the site, unless I missed it.

http://urban-agrarian.blogspot.com/

Walter Jeffries said...

Neat. It is great to see another promotion of local agriculture. Merry Christmas!

-Walter
Sugar Mtn Farm
in Vermont

Helen said...

Hi Kathleen,

I just checked out the site and it looks fabulous! I love too the resources you've collected. I'll make sure to link to you next time I update my blog.

Happy New Year and hope that it brings you lots of health, happiness, and maybe even a career change :)

Cheers,
-Helen