Monday, November 21, 2005

The Things I Carry

Cooking at someone else's house is a royal pain in the neck. There are always things you assume everyone has, but you're wrong. Like a whisk. Or Saran Wrap. How can a regular suburban American family not have plastic wrap in the house? It seems impossible, but last Thanksgiving, my parents didn't have plastic wrap OR aluminum foil.

So I'm busy making my list of stuff to bring with me to my parents' house for Thanksgiving. Mom and Dad will do most of the shopping, and I'll do most of the cooking there, though I'll bring some things with me on Wednesday. In addition to the finished items I'll drag out there (pumpkin cheesecake, already made and in the freezer, cranberry sauce, two pies, cookies, a chocolate cake and cornbread stuffing), I will bring with me:

  • Butter
  • Lemons
  • A pastry bag fitted with a large star tip, for whipped cream
  • My good chef's knife, even if I do need to get it sharpened
  • A pepper grinder filled to the top with Penzey's Tellicherry peppercorns
  • Good olive oil
  • Garlic
Since it's almost impossible to make even the most basic items with the above, I pretty much always bring them with me anywhere I'm expecting to cook: other people's houses, vacations, etc. (Okay, the pastry bag isn't strictly necessary, but for Thanksgiving it is.) I'm curious as to what other people consider necessities. I wonder how one starts a meme? Can I tag mzn of Haverchuk and Helen of Beyond Salmon? Would that start an internet phenomenon? Or would it simply fizzle sadly in a wave of indifference? We'll see: here goes.....

3 comments:

Helen said...

Hi Pyewacket,

"French Pastries in Ten Recipes" sounds great! I'll buy one as soon as you write it :) I'll even test recipes for you.

About the meme... Since I teach at CCAE, I have my list of staples that I always carry with me. I'd be happy to post them on my blog. How does this work, do I just post them and then tag someone else?

Cheers,
-Helen

Pyewacket said...

Yes - you just post your answers, then tag someone else (either on your blog, if you're sure they'll read it, or you can post a comment on the other person's blog).

As soon as I finish my art class, get through Christmas, start and complete my master's degree, and lose thirty pounds, I'm going to get right on that book. Really.

Katherine said...

Your meme advances--Check out the results of one of mzn's tags here: http://toastpoint.blogspot.com/2005/12/theres-no-place-like-home-someone.html